Maize Trust Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – MAIZE TRUST
The Maize Trust, established in 1998, was formed after the Maize Board closure, with the main aim of promoting the maize industry of South Africa. The Trust is committed to encouraging continuous improvement of the countries entire maize industry, in order to ensure that the industry establishes a lead in the region and that it is internationally competitive.
The Trust provides the maize industry with financial support, to organisations and institutions that conduct a production and market-related research programmes. The Trust also provides funding assimilation and circulation of market information, as well as to increase market access for the maize industry’s benefit.
The Maize Trust has granted many awards to organisations and institutions involved in the South African maize industry, and the Maize Trust Bursary Scheme is one of them.
ABOUT THE MAIZE TRUST BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Maize Trust is inviting students to apply for postgraduate bursary funding, for the 2022 academic year. Bursaries will be awarded for Masters and Doctoral studies, within the maize industry, which is relevant to the maize industry in South Africa, including the following:
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Meteorology
- Agricultural Writers
- Conservation Agriculture
- Data Science
- Demand Planner
- Food Sciences (relevant to the crop industry)
- Livestock Science
- Molecular Biology
- Pasture Science
- Plant Biochemistry
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Entomology
- Plant Nematology
- Plant Pathology
- Plant Physiology
- Plant Virology
- Precision Agriculture
- Seed Applied Technologies
- Soil Microbiology
- Soil Science
- Weed Science
- other related fields
MORE ABOUT THE MAIZE TRUST BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE, SERVICE CONTRACT & SELECTION
The value of the bursary will depend on the level of study:
MSc/ Masters by Dissertation students will receive funding up to R95 000 per annum, for 2 years.
PhD/ Doctoral Research students will receive funding up to R125 000 per annum for 3 years.
The first bursary instalment will be paid in January 2022. Bursary funding will be paid according to the submitted and approved progress reports, by the student and their supervisor.
Once students have graduated, they must work within the maize industry of South Africa, for a duration of time equal to that of the bursary received.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and required to partake in telephonic interviews.
Successful applicants will be notified within 8 weeks of the application closing date – if you do not receive any feedback within this time frame, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MAIZE TRUST BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have completed Matric
- You must be studying full-time within one of the aforementioned fields of study (Masters by Dissertation or Doctoral qualifications only)
- You must be studying at a tertiary institution recognised by the Maize Trust (University, College or Technikon)
- You must NOT be in receipt of any other funding or bursary awards (unless agreed to by the Trust)
- You must intend on conducting a dissertation/thesis on a topic that has been approved by the Maize Trust
- You must be willing to work within the South African maize industry after completing your studies
- You must have read and agreed to all of the Maize Trust Bursary conditions, policies and procedures
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MAIZE TRUST BURSARY
Applications must be done online at Maize Trust Bursary Application 2022
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document or Passport (certified copy – not older than 3 months old)
- Colour ID photo
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of tertiary registration and fee statement (on institutions letterhead)
- Full tertiary academic record, including latest results (on institutions letterhead)
- Details of the proposed research, including: working research title, description of research and Gantt chart
- Motivational letter to support your application, including details of your academic abilities, financial need and future career goals
CLOSING DATE FOR THE MAIZE TRUST BURSARY
30 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact L&L Agricultural Services (the Maize Trust’s bursary administrators) directly:
Tel: 012 807 3958
Contact page: https://agrimanage.co.za/contact-us/