Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – MITCHELL’S PLAIN BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST
The Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust were founded as the result of Trevor Manuel’s deployment as the MP of the African National Congress to serve Mitchell’s Plain constituency in 2009, whereby he discussed the need for education and skills with community leaders.
The Trust was launched at Spine Road High School in Mitchell’s Plain, Cape Town, on 16 June 2011 (Youth Day). The first bursary recipients were 15 matriculants from the high school in 2012, each receiving R10 000 towards their tuition fees.
ABOUT THE MITCHELL’S PLAIN BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust is inviting students from the suburb of Mitchell’s Plain, in Cape Town, to apply for a bursary award for the 2022 academic year. Bursaries will be awarded for ANY field of study, at a recognised tertiary institution within the Western Cape.
The aim of the bursary is to help students gain access to tertiary education, by way of initial funding and support.
MORE ABOUT THE MITCHELL’S PLAIN BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY PROGRAMME
The bursary will provide partial cover for the following expenses: registration fees and/or tuition fees, up to a maximum amount as decided by the Trust. The Trust does NOT provide full bursaries, therefore students are advised to seek alternative sources of funding (bursaries, NSFAS funding, student loans etc) to cover the fee shortfall.
Funding is paid directly to the tertiary institution where students are studying.
Bursaries are awarded for 1 academic year at a time and bursary holders are required to reapply for funding each year. Bursary renewal will be dependent on students achieving satisfactory academic results.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MP BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must reside in the suburb of Mitchell’s Plain (in Cape Town, Western Cape)
- You must be currently in Matric in 2021 and studying at any of the 17 high schools in Mitchell’s Plain OR you must be a current recipient of the MP Bursary Trust
- You must have applied to study at a recognised tertiary institution within the Western Cape, in 2022 (University, University of Technology or FET college)
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must be in financial need
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MP BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY
Applications must be submitted online at: Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust Bursary Application
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
ALL candidates must submit the following documents:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ sworn affidavit if unemployed/ death certificate if deceased)
- Proof of residence (parent/ guardian rates account or sworn affidavit)
NEW applicants must also add the following documents:
- Grade 11 final results
- Matric June and September results
- Proof of application to tertiary institution (on institution’s letterhead)
- Letter of support by school principal (on school letterhead)
- Motivational letter (written by the applicant explaining why they deserve to be awarded the bursary)
- Details of any achievements (Extra Mural, Sport or Community Activities etc)
CURRENT bursary holders must also add the following documents:
- June and September tertiary exam results
SELECTION PROCESS OF THE MP BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to attend an interview.
- Candidates will be informed of a conditional acceptance based on September results and application.
- Candidates will be required to submit their Matric final results and proof of acceptance at a tertiary institution.
- Selected candidates will then be notified of their bursary acceptance.
- The bursary award will be paid to the tertiary institution.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE MITCHELL’S PLAIN BURSARY AND ROLE MODEL TRUST BURSARY
30 November 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust directly:
Contact Person: Genevieve Claassen