UCT Department of Information Systems Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS
UCT Department of Information Systems Bursary South Africa | The University of Cape Town (UCT) is one of the top academic tertiary institutions in South Africa. Their main mission is to produce individuals who portray excellent leadership qualities as well as strong social justice, and who will later play important roles in government, business, civil society, and industry in South Africa and Africa as a whole.
The Department of Information Systems is part of the School of IT at the University of Cape Town. The department offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications and courses.
UCT launched the new School of Information Technology in 2018 due to the growing needs of the South African and international tech industry, as well as the increasing demand for university qualifications in the sector. The faculty includes the fields of Science, Commerce and Humanities, offering a variety of courses and programmes, including Computer Science, Information Systems or Computer Science, Informatics or Computer Science and Business Computing.
ABOUT THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY – FIELDS COVERED
The University of Cape Town’s Department of Information Systems is inviting students to apply for a bursary award, for the 2022 academic year.
The bursary programme is available for studies at UCT, towards either of these qualifications: BCom Honours degree, majoring in Information Systems OR 4th year B.Bus.Sci studies, majoring in Information Systems.
MORE ABOUT THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY – COVERAGE VALUE
UCT will be awarding 5 bursaries, to the value of R60 000 each, and will cover 1 year of full-time study. The top 5 eligible students to apply, will receive the bursary.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African Citizen or a permanent resident in South Africa
- You must have applied to study full time towards a Bachelors of Commerce Honours or you must be currently enrolled full time in your 4th year of B.Bus.Sci majoring in Information Systems
- You must be studying or have applied to study at UCT
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 65% for your 3rd year Information
Systems or Computer Science courses
- You must have proven financial need
- You must NOT be employed full-time
- Preference will be given to Black (African, Coloured or Indian) candidates
- Preference will be given to candidates in financial need – either in terms of the National Means Test (total family income of less than R350 000 per year) or GAP tuition bursaries (total family income is between R350 000 and R600 000 per year)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY
Download and complete the UCT Department of Information Systems Bursary Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document or permanent residence (certified copy)
- Official academic transcript (on institutions letterhead)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational letter to support your application
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Insert the words “IS Honours Bursary 2022” in the email subject line).
NOTES ABOUT THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY
- Funds provided by the bursary programme are to be used for expenses relevant to the Information Systems Honours programme at UCT.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete and sign the student agreement (this will be forwarded to them once they receive the award).
- The successful applicant may NOT be employed full-time, however, they may partake in teaching, tutorials, assistance or demonstration duties during the year of study. They also may be remunerated for their services rendered at the normal university tariff for services.
- Bursary recipients may supplement the bursary, up to the maximum of the university’s capped value for the level of study.
- If the applicant does not complete their degree, the full amount of the bursary must be refunded to the Information Systems department.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UCT DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS BURSARY
31 October 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the UCT Department of Information Systems directly:
Tel: 021 650 2261