Alexander Leith Bagpipe and Drum Scholarship
|Value||$3,000 towards the cost of tuition fees for first year of study at the University of Otago|
|Closing date||1 December|
Established by a descendant of Alexander and Margery Leith in 2008 to assist students who have demonstrated an outstanding level of merit in solo performance in either Scottish piping or drumming and all-round academic ability, to attend the University of Otago.
Alexander Leith was born in Sutherlandshire Scotland in 1809. Margery and Alexander with their son William arrived in Dunedin on the “Mary” on 11 April 1849. The Leith family developed two farms on the Taieri Plain then walked their stock to Southland in 1861 and settled at Oteramika. Alexander Leith died suddenly on 18 July 1863.
Applicants must be:
- planning to enrol for study in the first year of a Bachelor of Music degree at the University of Otago in the year following the close date
- planning on specialising in a music performance paper in Scottish piping or drumming
- Download the Alexander Leith Scholarship application form.
- Download the Alexander Leith Scholarship referee report.
- Download the Alexander Leith Scholarship regulations.