BIUST Undergraduate Entry Requirements
The University considers and assesses every application on its own merits, taking into account the relevance of qualifications and experience each student has.
For students with a Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education (BGCSE) or equivalent, the following minimum requirements will apply for undergraduate degree programmes:
- A credit in at least six subjects in BGCSE or equivalent. These subjects must include a minimum of Pass (D) in English and at least a Credit (C) in Mathematics plus two science subjects.
- BGCSE holders or equivalent should possess a minimum of 20 points from any of Mathematics, and Physics and/or Chemistry and/or Biology or Science double award.
- A minimum combined points score for admission from the six subjects (including Mathematics, English, two science subjects or Science Double Award, must be above 38 points based on the points scores in the following table:
- The University will consider A-level holders and those who have already completed year one (1) BSc General at any recognised University for direct entry into second year.
- Furthermore, applicants in possession of year one (1) BSc General or equivalent, are required to have attained at least 40 BGCSE points or equivalent and must have obtained an average of at least 65% without resits or retakes in their BSc transcript.
- A-level holders are required to possess, in addition to the general minimum entry requirements, 2 A-level grades with a C or better in Maths, and in one of Physics or Chemistry or Biology.
- Diploma holders will also be considered on the relevance of their prior programmes of study to their programmes of interest
The University reserves the right to ask prospective students to sit a pre-admission exam if required. Please note that these are the only minimum entry requirements, and certain programmes may have additional entry requirements. Information on additional requirements is available from the Admissions Office
The BGCSE grade system is calculated as follows:
An example of calculating best 6 subjects:
|Key subjects||Minimum Grade||Best 6 subjects Overall Points|
|FIRST YEAR ENTRY||Mathematics||C||38|
For second year entry:
|SECOND YEAR ENTRY||BSc /A Level / Diploma|
|NB: Points for Double Award Sciences are doubled Eg. Grade BB=14 Points|