Funza Lushaka Bursary District-Based South Africa
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROVIDER – WCED
Funza Lushaka Bursary District-Based South Africa | The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) is responsible for primary and secondary education within the province. The main objective of the Department is to ensure that all students have access to basic education, as such, the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme was introduced in 2007.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme is a government-funded multi-year programme aimed at promoting teaching as a career choice, thus fostering the next generation of South African educators. The programme is run locally at various Western Cape tertiary institutions, namely the UWC, CPUT, and Stellenbosch University.
In 2012, the District-based Funza Lushaka Bursary was introduced, aimed at learners from underprivileged communities (i.e. those at no-fee schools/ those exempted from paying school fees), allowing them to gain access to this unique bursary opportunity.
ABOUT THE FUNZA LUSHAKA DISTRICT-BASED BURSARY PROGRAMME
Funza Lushaka is inviting students to apply for their District-based bursary programme for the 2024 academic year.
The bursary will be awarded to 66 students, for studies towards formal Teaching qualifications, within the Western Cape, at the University of the Western Cape (UWC), Stellenbosch University (SU) and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT).
The Bursary programme will only be awarded to students who specialize in the following disciplines:
- BEd Foundation Phase, specialising in Languages (including English, Afrikaans, and Xhosa) and special needs education
- BEd Intermediate Phase, specialising in Languages (mainly English), Mathematics, Natural Science, Technology and special needs education
- BEd Senior Phase, specialising in Languages (mainly English), Mathematics, Natural Science, Technology, Arts (Drama, Dance, Music, Design, and Visual) and special needs education
- BEd Further Education and Training Phase, specialising in Languages (mainly Xhosa), Mathematics (including Technical Mathematics), Sciences (Agricultural, Natural, Physical, Life, Technical, Mathematical, excluding Social Sciences), Technology (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Application Technology, and Coding), Arts (Dramatic, Visual, Dance, Music, Design) and special needs education
(Note: this bursary is NOT the annual Funza Lushaka Bursary programme – this is a district-based bursary for Western Cape students only.)
MORE ABOUT THE FUNZA LUSHAKA DISTRICT-BASED BURSARY PROGRAMME – EXPENSES COVERED, RENEWAL & SERVICE CONTRACT
This district-based bursary programme’s overall goal is to create a new generation of teachers by funding 66 students in their studies. This full-cost bursary programme will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, accommodation, meals, textbook allowance, notes and laboratory fees (where applicable), as well as a monthly allowance to cover living costs.
The bursary award is valid for one academic year at a time and can be renewed at the end of October in the preceding year. Renewals will be granted based on the academic performance of the student, and can/ will be renewed each year until the recipient is a qualified educator.
Candidates who receive the bursary award will be expected to teach in public schools in rural areas for the same amount of years that they received funding. In doing this, Funza Lukasha hopes to achieve its goal of fostering teachers and meeting the needs of rural communities.
Otagouni.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Funza Lushaka District-based Bursary.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA DISTRICT-BASED BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must reside within the Western Cape
- You must be no older than 30 years old
- You must be currently in Matric or have completed Matric with a Bachelor’s pass
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 60% for your Home Language subject in Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 50% for your First Additional Language subject in Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 50% for your other 4 subjects in Matric
- You must have passed Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy in Matric if applying for BEd Foundation Phase
- You must have passed Mathematics or Technical Mathematics and Physical Sciences or Technical Sciences in Matric, if applying for BEd specialising in technical subjects
- You must demonstrate strong academic ability
- You must meet the admissions requirements of your chosen institution
- You must have applied to one of the approved BEd degree programmes listed above, specialising in 2 or more priority areas
- You must have applied for admission to study at any of these Western Cape universities: University of the Western Cape, Stellenbosch University or Cape Peninsula University of Technology
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA DISTRICT-BASED BURSARY
Candidates who meet the above criteria may apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Complete the online application form: Funza Lushaka District-based Bursary Application 2024
Enter “Otagouni.com” in the field asking how you heard about the Funza Lushaka District-based Bursary.
Step 2: Collect copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (NSC)/ Grade 12 June Report (certified copy)
- Proof of application/ acceptance into a Western Cape HEI
- Motivational letter explaining why you want to become a teacher (read our tips on how to write a motivational letter for your bursary application)
Step 3: Submit your documentation via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the words “Funza Lushaka District-based Bursary” in the email subject line).
CLOSING DATE FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA DISTRICT-BASED BURSARY
28 July 2023.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) directly:
Contact Person: Ms Masivelane Jita
Tel: 021 467 2224