Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – IDC
The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), established in 1940, is owned by the government of South Africa and is under the supervision of the Economic Development Department. The IDC is a national development finance institution, which provides youth enterprises, who are undertaking industrial development projects, with financial and non-financial support.
The institution was created with the aim of promoting economic growth and industrial development, as well as contributing to sustainable job creation within the country, as well as across the rest of Africa.
The IDC provides financial assistance to entrepreneurs starting new enterprises, as well as companies wishing to extend their current operations, to a maximum of R1 billion
ABOUT THE IDC BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The IDC is inviting students to apply for bursary funding, for the 2022 academic year.
Bursaries will be awarded to learners who are academically talented but lack funding to pursue higher education. The bursary will be awarded for studies in fields which are directly related to industry, including:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Financial Engineering
- Geology (leading to BTech at University of Technology)
- Industrial Engineering (BSc)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Mining Engineering
Science & Applied Commercial Science:
- Accounting (CA BCom)
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Financial Engineering
- Information Systems (BCom)
- Investment Management
- Information Technology
- Quantitative Finance
- Quantitative Risk Management
- Commercial Law (BCom)
- LLB (Bachelor of Law)
- Law (Postgraduate Diploma)
Note: bursaries will not be awarded for any other fields of study than the fields listed above.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE, SERVICE CONTRACT & SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, prescribed books, accommodation, meals, a laptop and an allowance.
IDC bursaries are awarded for 1 year of study at a time and are renewable each year, subject to submission of a progress report from the institution.
Once students have graduated, they will be required to work for IDC for an amount of time equal to that of their bursary awarded.
Successful candidates will be informed of the outcome of their application by no later than 13 December 2021. If you do not receive any email correspondence, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IDC BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must reside in South Africa
- You must be under 25 years of age
- You must have completed Matric OR must currently be in Matric
- You must be studying or intend on studying full time within one of the aforementioned fields of study, in 2022
- You must be studying or intend on studying at a recognised public University, University of Technology or TVET College in South Africa (studies at private institutes are not covered)
- You must have achieved a minimum “B” symbol/ 75% for Mathematics and Science in Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum overall “C” symbol/ 65% average, if currently studying
- You must have passed all courses registered for, if currently studying
- You must NOT be in receipt of any other funding from a bursary or employer
- You must have proven financial need – based on total household income
- Students with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Preference will be given to students residing in rural communities areas
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE IDC BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: IDC Bursary Application 2022
You will be required to register before you can login and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Grade 11 final results AND Matric June results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Latest academic results, if not studying this year (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record, if currently at tertiary level (certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance or provisional admission at an approved institute (on institutions letterhead)
- Proof of registration, latest fee statement and latest academic progress report, if currently studying (on institutions letterhead)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ sworn affidavit or financial statements if self-employed/ sworn affidavit or death certificate if deceased/ divorce certificate if divorced/ sworn statement if separated) (certified copies)
Note: shortlisted Matric students will be required to submit their final Matric results by no later than 30 January 2022.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE IDC BURSARY
30 November 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) directly:
Tel: 011 269 3536 / 083 777 7722