Regional Environmental Engineer Vacancy At Amazon
For over 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet.
In 2019, Amazon announced The Climate Pledge, which includes our commitment to power our operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025, on the path to achieving net-zero carbon across our businesses by 2040. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com and https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud.
The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS’s growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS’s global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS’s global environmental and safety programs.
We are seeking a Regional Environmental Engineer (REE) to be responsible for AWS environmental compliance at data centers in South Africa. The REE will ensure standards and policies support regulatory compliance and will provide appropriate environmental compliance guidance to regional operations and construction teams. The individual will complete contractual and environmental performance analysis, manage regional environmental professionals, establish and monitor metrics, and guide the teams in the implementation of Amazon environmental procedures. The REE will work with internal and external partners that include government entities, contractors, consultants, design, construction, operations, and other key stakeholders.
The Regional Environmental Engineer must have excellent communication skills, strong environmental regulatory knowledge, demonstrated success in program development and project management of complex and technical projects.
• Manage compliance with local and national environmental regulations, contractual obligations, and Amazon policy.
• Develop regional strategic programs by integrating with operators, engineering, construction, and operations – drive an environmentally responsible culture within the organization.
• Ensure work performed by contractors, consultants, and employees is completed in accordance with Amazon standards.
• Develop environmental metrics to measure, monitor, and forecast performance.
• Conduct thorough and accurate environmental audits to drive continuous improvement.
• Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
• Represent Amazon at appropriate levels with governmental agencies and throughout the company.
• Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed appropriately.
• Submit time-critical reports to various governmental agencies.
• Complete thorough and accurate environmental incident investigations and associated regulatory reports and develop appropriate corrective actions
· A completed Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, chemical or environmental engineering, or related field of study
· 7+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, environmental manager, program specialist, or program manager
· Waste Management Subject Matter Expertise
· Experience with contractual, regulatory, and liability assessments, air permit evaluations and applications, EIA’s and water discharge requirements
· Broad knowledge of regional environmental regulations and programs
· Experience leading change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
· Experience successfully implementing environmental systems
· Excellent organizational and project management skills
· Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels
· Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with senior leaders inside and outside the company
· Experience in a fast-paced, changing/growing organization
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem-solving ability.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Government Vacancies in South Africa
Amazon Vacancies In South Africa
Sr. Program Manager, AWS Talent Pipeline