Middle School Social Studies Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School Social Studies Teacher
Middle School Social Studies Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Introduction
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals. Child Protection Statement AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
AISJ is dedicated to providing a student-centered, collaborative, and transdisciplinary approach to learning. Such an approach will best prepare and empower students to become responsible lifelong learners and competent, compassionate individuals.
The Middle School Social Studies teacher will serve as a core member of the Middle School team, fulfilling the school’s vision, mission, and core values. This position requires an acute understanding of the developmental needs of middle school learners and a desire to work with and advocate for this age group.
The philosophy of the Middle School Social Studies department is to develop deeply engaged, connected learners who are curious, independent, and open-minded. Emphasizing critical thinking, research, and communication skills, the Social Studies curriculum is fully concept-based. As such, Social Studies explores questions that are ancient yet perennial, transcending time, place, and culture. In this way, students learn how the study of history is relevant to them and the world we live in. Social Studies is also highly personalized, as students have choice in terms of the content they use to further explore and understand these larger concepts and questions. Social Studies is anchored to the C3 Framework.
- Current teaching certification appropriate to age level and subject specializations
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or the area of expertise required
- Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations at the required levels of study
- An understanding middle school philosophy and an ability to communicate well with middle school students
- A willingness to embrace an inclusive school environment while focusing on differentiated instruction and integrated learning
- Willingness to supervise co-curricular roles
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs, which encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and develop a sense of classroom community and trust
- A solid understanding of a middle school organization, programs and students
- A willingness and ability to reflect and critically examine teaching practices, set goals, and commit to continuous improvement
Preferred skills and experience
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- A team player with the ability to take initiative
- An ability to multi-task
- Experience with and/or understanding of:
- Curriculum and assessment development, particularly standards based assessment and planning using Understanding by Design.
- Using hands on activities and assessment to help students make connections to the world around them
- Technology integration
- Personalized Learning
- Concept-based curriculum
- Independent research
The Middle School Social Studies teacher will teach five periods of an eight period rotating block schedule. The assignment of this subject is dependent upon the strengths of the successful candidate and will be made by the principal. A 30-minute Advisory period, called “Imbizo,” happens three times per week and is also included in the teacher’s responsibilities. Weekly team meetings will occur (or more frequently if required). AISJ values continuous improvement and provides weekly professional growth and collaboration time from 1:45 pm to 4:00 pm on Wednesdays.
In addition to the subject responsibilities, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow department/grade members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues such including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links and/or awareness
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of class and advisory groups
- Attend and constructively contribute in staff and department/grade meetings
- Lead co-curricular after school activities
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Contribute to and support school improvement plans and initiatives
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish regular links with your parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of curricular materials
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Chaperone annual Classroom Without Walls class trip
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfill their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to
Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm Wednesday
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.