Elementary School English Language Learners South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
JOB DESCRIPTION: Elementary School English Language Learners
Elementary School English Language Learners South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Campus Johannesburg Campus
Direct Supervisor Elementary School Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
The Teacher of English Language Learners will be responsible for supporting the academic, social and emotional needs of students within the elementary school. They will predominantly work with students who are English Language Learners within a mainstream setting. The ELL Teacher works closely with classroom teachers to develop language objectives and implement language scaffolds to meet the diverse language needs of students within our school. They play a pivotal role in developing collaborative relationships with administrators, teachers and parents to support ELL learners. The ELL Teacher is a key member of the Child Study Team and works with the school counselor, learning support teachers and principal to identify and plan for the diverse learning needs of individual students.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in the Teaching of English Language Learners (Masters Degree preferred)
- Bachelor of Education
- K – 12 or K – 5 license or certification
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ability to collaborate with and empower classroom teachers to effectively meet the needs of ELL students within their class
- Recent professional development in best practices in the teaching of English language learners in the mainstream setting
- Experience with using various co-teaching models
- Experience as a classroom teacher
- Experience administering the WIDA and using the results to plan instruction and communicate students’ language proficiency levels to teachers and parents
- Experience in delivering asset based language acquisition programs
- Experience working with English language learners
- Proven ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Experience with presenting parent workshops regarding language acquisition
- Experience leading professional development workshops with colleagues
- Effective communication skills
- A positive attitude
- Strong collaboration skills
- Strong organizational ability and initiative
General Teaching Responsibilities
In addition to the specialist level expectations, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this, teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team members with regards to planning, assessment development and the analysis of student learning data
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of students
- Attend and constructively contribute to faculty and team meetings
- Assist in the supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish links with the parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members
- Participate in at least one co-curricular activity per year
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfill their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
Application process In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.