Middle School French and Spanish Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School French and Spanish Teacher
Middle School French and Spanish Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Campus Pretoria Campus, American International School of Johannesburg
Direct Supervisor Pretoria Campus Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies and procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The middle school world language teacher will be responsible for supporting the academic, social and emotional growth and development of students in grades 6 to 8 at the Pretoria Campus of the American International School of Johannesburg. The middle school world language teacher will work in collaboration with AISJ world language teachers to develop French and Spanish communication skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) and cultural connections and appreciation.
Our World Language program is holistic in design. With students of various levels and grade level combinations, differentiation to meet student’s current level of performance is essential. We believe students best develop in French or Spanish when immersed in activities that connect to larger understandings of our world. Activities and performance assessments that are social, collaborative and authentic are essential to our world language program.
- The Pretoria Campus middle school world language teacher should have:
- 6– 8 license or teaching certification and at minimum a Bachelor’s degree including certification in French and Spanish
- Master’s degree or similar preferred
Preferred Skills and Experience
- International school experience
- At least 2 years of experience in working with students in grades 6-8
- A solid understanding of the importance of social and emotional growth
- Experience and/or training in working with neurodiverse students
- A solid understanding of differentiation of instruction and use of inquiry to design lessons
- Understanding of World Language AERO standards to review and revise units of instruction
- Interest in and experience with technology integration
- Ability to partner and co-teach
- Recent professional development in various areas of world language teaching and learning
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in developing and delivery of learning interventions
- Ability to design student-based assessments that measure growth and achievement in world languages
- Experience in using learning evidence to guide instructional decisions
- Effective communication skills with colleagues and parents
- Flexible; ready to adapt their support schedules to the immediate needs of students
- A positive attitude
- Collaborative, strategic, receptive
- Strong organizational ability and initiative
- Model inclusivity
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and student support
- Communicate and liaise with colleagues to promote social and emotional awareness
- Attend and constructively contribute to staff meetings
- Assist in supervision of students
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Teach at least one co-curricular activity per year
- Participate in and assist with school events such as Classroom Without Walls as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm Wednesday
Occasional weekend or evening work for presentations etc. will be required
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form.
Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.